Share the Christmas spirit and find ways to give back over the holiday season!
NOTE: This list is updated as information becomes available.
Volunteer Halton has volunteering opportunities for a wide range of local nonprofit organizations.
GET HELP: Free Community Dinners
Happy Festivus Dinner For teens 13-19 years of age: An RSVP by December 14th would be appreciated but not necessary.
- Where: Bronte Youth Centre, 2296 Lakeshore Road, W.
- When: Friday, Dec 19th, 7 pm
- Contact: 905-845-6932 (Oakville) or 905-582-3592 (Bronte)
Salvation Army Christmas Dinner A ticket is required to attend the dinner. A limited number of tickets will be available starting on Monday, Dec 1st at the Salvation Army Community Church office, 1225 Rebecca Street.
- When: Monday, Dec 15th
- Contact: 905-827-5324 ext 22
GIVE HELP: Food, Gift and Toy Drives
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Halton: Donations of grocery food cards
- Where: 464 Morden Rd.
- When: Mon-Fri 9 am-4:30 pm
- Contact: 905-339-2355 * call ahead to ensure someone is available to receive them
Home Suite Hope: Donations of cash, your time, grocery, gas or clothing gift cards, household items (bedding, housewares, toiletries), diapers (size 5/6), new mattresses, sponsor a child’s music lesson or sports program
- Where: Budds’ Collision, 2071 S. Service Rd
- When: 9 am-5 pm until Dec 20th
- Contact: 905-339-2370 or www.homesuitehope.org for cash donations
The Children of Christmas Past: Choose a tag from the gift tree which contains a senior’s Christmas gift wish. Purchase the gift, wrap it with the gift tag taped securely face up (showing the senior’s name and gift request) and return the gift to the tree location. Gifts will be delivered on Christmas morning. There are two gift trees located in Oakville:
- Where: Kicks for Kids, 467 Speers Rd
- When: Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri 2 pm-8:30 pm, Thurs 2 pm-8 pm, Sat 10 am-11:30 am
- Contact: Dave MacKinnon at 905-849-5437
- Where: Cheerforce All-Stars Wolfpack, 1060 South Service Road W.
- When: Mon-Fri 5 pm-10 pm, Sat 9 am-4 pm, Sun 9 am-10 pm
- Contact: 905-844-4884
Children and Teen’s Pyjama Drive: Donate new children’s pyjamas
- Where: Creating Space Yoga Studio, 594 Chartwell Rd: Donations can be left inside the studio or in the basket outside the studio door.
- When: Before Friday, Dec 19th
- Contact: Robyn at 905-337-3598
- Where: Grace Academy of Dance and Performing Arts 785 Pacific Rd
- When: Mon-Fri 4 pm-10 pm, Sat 8:30 am-5:30 pm
- Contact: 905-338-0210
Fareshare Food Bank:Donations of food or cash:
- Where: 1240 Speers Road, Unit 6 – food and cash
- When: Mon 10 am-2 pm * Thu 3 pm-7 pm * food donation bins located in grocery stores during business hours
- Contact: 905-847-3988
Food for Life – Turkey Drive: Volunteers will be asking shoppers to donate a turkey to Food for Life. The turkeys will then be distributed through social service agencies.
- Where: Real Canadian Superstore 201 Oak Park Blvd., and Fortino’s, 173 Lakeshore Rd. W.
- When: Saturday, Dec 13th
- Contact: email@example.com
Halton Regional Police Service – Toys for Tots: Donations of new unwrapped toys, Canadian Tire money, cash or gift cards at various locations for distribution by the Salvation Army. This year they are aiming for gifts for 10-16 year olds.
- Where: Drop off at any police station or any Canadian Tire store, some TD bank branches and some Kerr Street businesses
- When: Until Dec 19th
- Contact: HRPS at 905-825-4747 ext 5240
Halton Women’s Place
Donations of diapers (size 4,5,6), wipes, small appliances (blenders, kettles, microwaves, toasters, etc), glasses, cutlery, kitchen utensils, cutting boards, twin sheet sets and comforters/blankets, pillows/pillowcases, shower curtains, feminine hygiene products, hair brushes, gift cards (Walmart, Shoppers), pyjamas (women’s and children’s), slippers, housecoats, towels, socks, underwear.
- Where: 1250 Brant St, Unit 3, call first
- When: Dec 8-19, 2014 * 10 am-6 pm weekdays * 9 am-1 pm Saturdays
- Contact: Kaitlin Gordon 905-332-1200 ext 244 or 905-691-0335 (cell)
Kerr Street Ministries: Donations of food or cash
- Where: 485 Kerr St.
- Contact: 905-845-7485
Oakville & Milton Humane Society: Donate cat wands, paper based cat litter, ping pong balls, Hills Science Diet canned cat/kitten/dog food, clip on treat bags, Galileo & large Nylabongs, salt licks, reptile sand, perches, bird toys, cheese cloth, paper towels, towels/washcloths, bowls, batteries. Monetary donations always welcome.
- Where: 445 Cornwall Road, Oakville
- Contact: 905-845-1551
Oakville Professional Firefighters Association – Christmas Toy Drive: Donate toys for infants, children and teens at any Oakville Fire station. Gift cards from local retail stores are also welcome. Especially needed are gifts for infants and teens aged 12-15 years. Donations are distributed to local families and agencies including Kerr Street Ministries, Salvation Army, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Children’s Aid Society, Halton Women’s Shelter, and the Oakville Parent-Child Centre.
- When: until Dec 18th
- Contact: email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oakville Public Library – Rediscover Your Library Event: Donate non-perishable food items. Items collected will be distributed by: Fareshare Food Bank and Kerr Street Ministries.
- When: December 10, 2014 9:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Where: Central, Glen Abbey, Iroquois Ridge, White Oaks and Woodside Branches
- Contact: 905-815-2042
Oak Park Neighbourhood Centre: Donations of food, cash or grocery gift cards, family Christmas food or gift hampers.
- Where: 2200 Sawgrass Dr.
- Contact: 905-257-6029
Safetynet Children and Youth Charities: Donations of food, clothing, toys or cash.
- Where: 226 Randall St. (drop box inside door on left)
- Contact: Bill Shields at 905-845-7233
Salvation Army Oakville Community Church: Donations of food, cash or new unwrapped toys
- Where: 1225 Rebecca St.
- Contact: 905-827-6523
Salvation Army – Santa Shuffle: 5K Fun Run and 1K Elf Walk: Helps the Salvation Army of Oakville assist families and individuals at Christmas and throughout the year.
- Where: The Running Room, 156 Lakeshore Rd. E.
- When: Dec 6th
- Contact: register at www.santashuffle.ca
Shoebox Project for Shelters: Collects small gifts packaged in decorated shoeboxes and distributes them to women in local shelters. Items can include jewelry, makeup, hair accessories, scarves, hats, gloves, gift cards (include the value and receipt if possible) as well as personal products. Boxes must be unsealed and items must be unused and packaged and kept to a value of approximately $50.00.
- Where: Donations can be dropped off at:
- Integra Tire 616 York St. (Speers Rd. and Third Line)
- ellephysio 232 South Service Rd. E. (QEW and Trafalgar Rd)
- The Lounge Salon 154 Kerr St. ( Kerr and Rebecca St.)
- Shoebox Tax & Accounting (contact Sandra)
- B & N Dental, Dorval Crossing (Dorval Dr and QEW)
- When: Nov 12th-Dec 12th
- Contact: Sandra at 416-450-5904 or email Sandra@shoeboxtax.ca
Trees for Kids – bring in an unwrapped toy or gift, preferably for a teen, and receive a free Christmas tree. All toys will be donated to children in the Oakville area. Funds collected will be donated to Easter Seals Ontario for financial assistance to children and youth with physical disabilities for mobility equipment, communication devices and summer camp opportunities. Entertainment, raffles, Christmas music, visit with Santa.
- Where: Century 21 Miller Real Estate, 467 Speers Rd
- When: December 6th
- Contact: Hans Taal, 905-845-9180 or www.treesforkids.ca
** Created by Information Oakville, a Service of the Oakville Public Library **