Children develop the skills they need to read years before they start school. As a parent or caregiver, you are your child's first and best teacher. Oakville Public Library can help you get started!
- Learn about the six early literacy skills your child needs to know before learning to read.
- Share books with your child again and again.
- Play, sing and tell stories with your child.
- Sign up for our library programs they are all designed to help develop early literacy skills.
- Borrow free books and more from the library.
The 6 Skills
You'll know your child is ready to read when you hear him say:
Connect With Us
Whether you're looking for general information, or something specific, we're here to help.
Did You Know
Bestselling author and literacy expert Mem Fox says that reading aloud to your children has an incredible impact on their ability to learn to read – and on their entire lives!