Information Oakville brings people and services together:
- By collecting, compiling, and maintaining information about the human services available to the community of Oakville.
- By providing access to this information in-person, online, by telephone, and in print.
- By maintaining the Oakville Events Calendar.
- By fostering a collaborative network of community information centers and other community service organizations.
- By analyzing statistical information available to us in order to identify trends in the supply of and demand for community services, and by sharing this information with governmental departments, community agencies, and social planning bodies in order to better serve the community.
Halton Community Services Database
In addition to maintaining a collection of data on human services available to the Oakville community, Information Oakville also contributes to and administers a more comprehensive database for the entire Halton region in association with community information centers in Burlington, Milton, and Halton Hills. Collectively the Halton Information Providers maintain the Halton Community Services Database, a collection of approximately 4,000 records of community, government, non-profit, voluntary and health sector programs and services.
The Halton Community Services Database runs on software developed by the Community Information Online Consortium (CIOC). Information Oakville has been an important partner in the development of the CIOC software, from its origins in Halton's HALINET program to the present, with Information Oakville actively involved in the development of the CIOC software and its governance through the Board of Directors. Currently the CIOC software is being used by information and referral agencies that collectively service 80% of Ontario's population and totaling more than 60 agencies across Canada.
Collectively the Halton Information Providers (HIP) provide the data used by 211Halton, a free, confidential, and multilingual Information and Referral service available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. 211 is available by telephone (dial 2-1-1, or TTY (905) 827-9833) and online at www.211halton.ca.
Information Oakville and the Halton Information Providers also provide data to 211Ontario, a program that provides a central, searchable database for community, social, health, and related government services across Ontario. 211Ontario is available online at www.211ontario.ca.
Other Partnerships & Associations
Information Oakville is a member of the following organizations:
- Halton Information Providers
- Alliance of Information and Referral Systems (AIRS)
Senior staff of Information Oakville are actively engaged in the advancement of Information and Referral services in Canada, and currently serve on the Board of Directors of InformOntario as well as the Board of the Community Information Online Consortium (CIOC).