Iroquois Ridge Renovation Information
On September 8, 2016 the Oakville Public Library Board approved a plan to renovate the Iroquois Ridge Branch and construct a Creation Zone within its walls. Renovations will take approximately 5 months to complete.
The branch will be closed starting Monday January 23, 2017, reopening in early July. Temporary services will be available within the Iroquois Ridge Community Centre.
Why is Iroquois Ridge Branch being renovated?
- Iroquois Ridge is being renovated as part of the Strategic Direction identified in the Strategic Plan: to transform our virtual and physical spaces to encourage creativity, collaboration, and discovery.
- Renovations will allow for the reconfiguration of space, an enlarged quiet study room, upgraded public access computers, group work and meeting space and the introduction of a Creation Zone to be constructed within library walls.
What is a Creation Zone and what will Iroquois Ridge’s look like?
- Creation Zones serve as gathering points where individuals can connect to work on meaningful projects, using both new technologies and traditional tools, assisted by helpful mentors (OPL Staff and community volunteers).
- Iroquois Ridge Branch’s Creation Zone will be a versatile space that inspires collaboration and learning, recreation and reflection. New technology offerings will include:
- State of the art programming & design software (for 3D designers, web/game developers);
- Cutting edge videography and photography tools (e.g.: digital camcorders, green screen, editing software, microphones);
- Space for hands-on learning and coding activities with an emphasis on STEM (science, technology, engineering & math)
Why is a Creation Zone needed?
- Oakville Public Library is committed to its role as a supporter of 21st century literacy skills and providing access to new and innovative technologies. As technology increasingly becomes an integral part of everyone’s life, our branches will continue to evolve as community hubs.
- Iroquois Ridge’s Creation Zone will provide residents with the tools and space needed to explore and share ideas, create, innovate and connect
- Through creative hands-on experiences and learning, offerings at IR’s Creation Zone will foster community connectedness and encourage residents to experiment, play, and discover.
What happens to the collection? Will there still be books at Iroquois Ridge Branch when the Creation Zone opens?
- Oakville Public Library strives to achieve a content mix that meets the needs of all residents.
- To accommodate the Creation Zone, Iroquois Ridge Branch’s book collection will be downsized somewhat. This gradual process is now being carried out by staff and will continue up until late January 2017 when the branch closes for renovations.
- Books removed from Iroquois Ridge Branch will be reallocated to other branches or sold at the Friends of the Oakville Public Library’s fundraising book sales when appropriate.
- As a reminder, books, DVDs and other items within the Oakville Public Library system can be placed on hold and picked up at Iroquois Ridge Branch.
What is the best way to access library services during the Iroquois Ridge Branch closure?
- A Library Depot will open on Wednesday February 1 at 1pm in the Program Room of the Iroquois Ridge Library, accessible from the Community Centre hall.
- Hours of operation:
- Monday 5pm to 8:30pm
- Tuesday 9:30am to 1pm
- Wednesday 1pm to 8:30pm
- Thursday 9:30am to 1pm
- Friday 1pm to 5pm
- Saturday 9:30am to 1pm
- Sundays 1pm to 5pm
- Services offered:
- Holds pick-up
- Small collection of popular materials to borrow
- A materials return drop box will be located in the hallway so customers can drop off their library materials during Iroquois Ridge Community Centre open hours
Will there be programming offered during the closure?
- Iroquois Ridge will host two weekly family story times, both located in the Community Centre’s Southridge Room
- Tuesday 11:15am to 11:45am
- Thursday 11:15am to 11:45am
- White Oaks Branch and Clearview Neighbourhood Branch will host additional programming. Please check our Program Guide or ask staff for more details.
Watch www.opl.ca for more information and updates as available.